Solving “Musty/Pond Water Odor”
Here are the most likely reasons why you are getting the musty/pond water odor.
- Old chemicals in the plumbing. Old chemicals leaching from the plumbing and waxes/glues (for new spas) give off a musty/pond odor which can be absorbed by the spa cover.For immediate relief from the old chemicals leaching into the water, see The Solution to Eliminating Musty/Pond Odor below. For a permanent solution, do a Citri-Clean purge with the existing water then follow the instructions in The Solution to Eliminating Musty/Pond Odor below.To get rid of the odors absorbed by the spa cover, wash the inside of the cover with a bleach solution, 409, simple green or any cleaner then rinse it off. You may have to do this more than once to get rid of the odor completely.
- Algae. Before you add another bottle of product to your spa, follow the EVERY TIME YOU FILL YOUR SPA WITH NEW WATER instructions on the cover page of the Carefree instruction booklet. You do not have to drain the spa but do the super shock of chlorine to kill the algae in the water and continue.
- Evaporation. If you have added water to compensate for evaporation, algae in the new water can cause a musty/pond water odor. For immediate relief, follow the instructions in The Solution to Eliminating Musty/Pond Odor below.If you know you have an algae problem with the water you refill your spa with, add half a cup of bleach to a 5-gallon bucket of water and add the bucket of water to the spa the following day. Algae gone, no more contamination.
The Solution to Eliminating Musty/Pond Odor
- Add 1 ounce of regular household bleach for every 100 gallons of water once a week OR 1 teaspoon of chlorine granules for every 100 gallons once a week until the smell disappears. This will keep your spa smelling fresh and clean until it’s time to add another bottle of Naturel Spa which will be two weeks before the recommended scheduled time. You need to do this earlier because the added chlorine shortens the life of Naturel Spa.
- When it’s time to add another bottle of Naturel Spa (remember it’s two weeks earlier than scheduled), you must first drain the spa and follow the EVERY TIME YOU FILL YOUR SPA WITH NEW WATER instructions on the cover page of the Carefree instruction booklet.
REMEMBER: Algae will return if you go too long on a bottle of Naturel Spa. As long as you follow the recommended schedule, your spa will remain clean, clear and odorless.